Monday 25 June 2012

CrossFit Competition

This weekend was the third annual Ontario Open at my sister's gym, Element Crossfit. CrossFit promotes a healthy competition, both in the physical and mental sense where you are pushed to compete with your own abilities. The slogan of the event was; Because Limits Exist to be Broken

We strive for personal bests and new accomplishments and the satisfaction is unreal. With CrossFit, the workouts are shorter and more intense than your standard workouts. We try to accomplish more in less time rather than dragging it on and on like I used to at the Big Box gyms. I have been doing CrossFit for 3-4 years now and I would never go back to anything else. I competed in this event, as I have in many others, not necessarily because I am at the competitive athlete level but it's a goal to train myself for and another way to push myself.

For those of you that might be intimidated, there are the regular "prescribed" weights and activities but you can scale them to your own level. For example, assisted pull-ups, kneeling push-ups and the list goes on. If my mom can do it, anyone can do it. And believe me, my mom has come a long way in her abilities.

The event this weekend was awesome. There were competitors in all divisions; Competitive (prescribed), Recreational (scaled) and Masters (40+ age group). The weather was amazing so most of it was outside. We even had an outdoor pull-up rig.








So, it saddens me that in my first post about my love for CrossFit I have to tell you that in a fluke accident I hurt myself during one of the workouts this weekend :(
It was hot, there was sweat and adrenaline, and the barbell slipped, folded my wrists back and sprained my right middle finger. In all my time doing CrossFit this is the only injury I have sustained. If anything, the regular movements help those with knee problems and other stiffness. I have been typing this post with my pointer fingers and will be back once I regain full motion as I do not want to strain any more than I have to.

If you have any questions about CrossFit feel free to ask. It's definitely something worth trying once. I used to dread working out because of the boring repetition. With CrossFit there's a different workout every day and I'm sad if I miss a workout. Plus it's a community that encourages and inspires one another. I'll be missing it for the next little while but I will be back in full force soon enough.  

Pin It

1 comment:

Michaela {au naturel design} said...

Emily, I'm so glad you found me. I'll be following along with you and getting in on that giveaway for sure.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...